DA Drops All Charges Against Vandals Who Toppled Confederate Statue In North Carolina

Remember last summer when a bunch of leftists toppled a Confederate statue just because they didn’t like it? None of them are going to face any real punishment. The DA in the case has dropped all the charges.

WRAL reports:

Durham DA drops all charges in Confederate monument toppling case

One day after a judge tossed charges against two suspects accused of toppling a Confederate monument last summer and found a third defendant not guilty, Durham County prosecutors on Tuesday announced that they were dropping all charges against the remaining five suspects.

District Attorney Roger Echols did not take questions after a terse statement in which he essentially said it did not make sense to pursue charges against the remaining suspects given that District Court Judge Frederick S. Battaglia Jr. on Monday found one suspect not guilty and dismissed charges against two others.

“I do believe the evidence supported the misdemeanor charges, and we proceeded on those charges,” Echols said. “Acts of vandalism, regardless of noble intent, are still violations of law.”

But Echols added that it would not be productive to pursue charges against the remaining five defendants given that prosecutors’ evidence for them was similar to that presented during Monday’s trials. The remaining defendants had been scheduled to return to court in April for their day in court.

Why did they get away with this with no punishment whatsoever? Shouldn’t they at least have to pay for the damage they did?

To Top