Former Obama Chief of Staff and current mayor of Chicago, Rahm Emanuel, is suing the DOJ over President Trump’s policy of defunding sanctuary cities.
The Hill reports:
Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel (D) plans to push back against the Trump administration’s policy withholding public safety grant money from so-called sanctuary cities by filing a federal lawsuit claiming it is illegal for the federal government to take such action.
“We’re not going to actually auction off our values as a city, so Monday morning the city of Chicago is going to court, we’re going to take the Justice Department to court based on this,” Emanuel said during an interview on WLS radio 890 set to air Sunday, according to The Chicago Tribune.
“We find it unlawful and unconstitutional to be, as a city, coerced on a policy,” he continued.
Chicago plans to use $3.2 million from the federal Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant Programs to buy police vehicles. The grant provides cities money to buy equipment, fund forensic research and train personnel, among other items.
Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced in July that state and local governments seeking the grant funding must certify they are not so-called sanctuary cities, which refuse to assist federal authorities in enforcing immigration laws.
“From now on, the Department will only provide Byrne JAG grants to cities and states that comply with federal law, allow federal immigration access to detention facilities, and provide 48 hours notice before they release an illegal alien wanted by federal authorities,” Sessions said last month.
Yeah, good luck with that.