Judge Declares Mistrial In Cliven Bundy Case, Says Prosecutors Withheld Key Evidence

A major legal development has happened in the legal case of the Bundy Ranch standoff. A judge just ruled a mistrial. It seems the prosecutors withheld some important evidence.

FOX News reports:

Case against Cliven Bundy, Nevada rancher involved in 2014 armed standoff, declared a mistrial

A federal judge declared a mistrial Wednesday in the case of a Nevada rancher accused of leading an armed standoff against the government in 2014, blaming prosecutors for withholding key evidence from defense lawyers, including records about the conduct of FBI and Bureau of Land Management agents.

Chief U.S. District Judge Gloria Navarro in Las Vegas dismissed a jury seated last month for the long-awaited trial of Cliven Bundy, his sons Ryan and Ammon Bundy and self-styled Montana militia leader Ryan Payne.

The decision is the latest in a string of failed prosecutions in Nevada and Oregon against those who have opposed federal control of vast swaths of land in Western states.

Jurors acquitted the two Bundy sons of taking over a federal wildlife refuge in Oregon for more than a month in early 2016 and amid calls for the U.S. government to turn over public land to local control.

In the Nevada case, Navarro faulted federal prosecutors for failing to turn over all evidence to defense attorneys.

“The government is obligated to disclose all evidence that might be favorable” to the defense, the judge said.

This will be welcome news for Bundy supporters, that’s for sure.

To Top