Criminal illegal aliens charged with a variety of crimes ranging from violent acts to acts or threats of terrorism, were protected by a “sanctuary” policy in Austin, TX, according to a conservative watchdog group.
“The illegal aliens protected by the Sheriff’s Office were charged or convicted of 31 acts of violence, 14 thefts or burglaries, and three acts or threats of terrorism,” Judicial Watch reported.
The “Travis County Sheriff’s Office Policy on Cooperation with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement,” significantly restricts the extent of cooperation that ICE receives from the Sheriff’s Office. The policy is so restrictive that, “No TCSO personnel is the jail, on patrol, or elsewhere may inquire about a person’s immigration status.”
Illegal aliens that protected by this sanctuary policy had extensive criminal records, including:
- 58 DWIs;
- 34 acts of violence (assault, aggregated assault, assault with a deadly weapon, etc.);
- 14 thefts/burglaries or other crimes against property;
- 8 drug-possession charges; 6 firearms violations;
- 45 other assorted felonies and misdemeanors (including contempt and failure to appear in court);
- and 35 unlisted or unclassified charges. [NOTE: Totals do not add due to multiple charges/convictions in some instances.]
Travis County Sherriff Office, led by Sherriff Sally Hernandez, aka ‘Sanctuary Sally’, has been in conflict with Texas Governor Greg Abbot over the sanctuary policy.
— Greg Abbott (@GregAbbott_TX) February 2, 2017
In February, Governor Abbot cut law enforcement funding to Travis County because of the its sanctuary policy.
— Greg Abbott (@GregAbbott_TX) February 1, 2017
Most recently Governor Abbot’s office reported, ‘206 criminally charged illegal aliens were released from the custody of jails after an immigration detainer had been issued. Of those, 142 came from Travis County Sheriff “Sanctuary Sally” Hernandez’ jail,” as previously reported by Breitbart Texas.
(Image: Twitter Photo)
Follow Ryan Saavedra on Twitter: @