Despite a strong showing in recent polls, Rep. Joaquin Castro (D-TX) faced a daunting uphill battle in a state that hasn’t had a Democratic Senator since 1993.
Rep. Joaquin Castro has decided against challenging Texas GOP Sen. Ted Cruz in 2018, leaving fellow Rep. Beto O’Rourke as the most likely challenger to the former presidential candidate.
Castro, who publicly mulled a bid for months even as O’Rourke jumped into the contest, said Monday he believed he needed to focus on his work on national security issues in Congress.
“Texans want a Senator who will stand up for their families, not stand down to Donald Trump,” he wrote on Facebook and in an email to supporters. “I’ve kept my pledge to fight for hard-working Texans, and I’ll keep doing that. However, with the threats posed by Russia and North Korea, coupled with the reckless behavior of this Administration and their failure to invest in economic opportunity for the American people, at this time I believe I can best continue that work by focusing on my duties in the House Foreign Affairs and Intelligence Committees.”
Politico previously reported that Democrats were planning to spend up to $100,000,000.00 to knock Ted Cruz out of his seat. Republicans laughed at them and said it would take a lot more than that, they also called it a suicide mission.
Follow Ryan Saavedra on Twitter: @