New York Governor Andrew Cuomo and New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio have allowed massive protests in recent weeks while continuing to deny the rights of people of faith.
Now some people have had enough.
Orthodox Jews and Catholic priests have joined forces to sue the governor and the mayor.
The New York Post reports:
De Blasio, Cuomo sued by priests, Orthodox Jews for banning service
Two Catholic priests and a trio of Orthodox Jews are suing Mayor Bill de Blasio and Gov. Andrew Cuomo — accusing them of an “unprecedented abuse of power” in shuttering houses of worship while supporting mass protests.
Upstate priests Rev. Steven Soos and Rev. Nicholas Stamos and Brooklyn Jewish congregants Elchanan Perr, Daniel Schonborn and Mayer Mayerfeld filed a federal lawsuit last week arguing New York’s leaders “exploited the COVID-19 pandemic” to create “a veritable dictatorship” with their lockdown rules.
“These orders, both the emergency stay-home and reopening plan declarations, clearly discriminate against houses of worship,” their attorney, Christopher Ferrara, said in a statement. “They are illegally content-based, elaborate, arbitrary and pseudo-scientific.”
New York Attorney General Letitia James is also named in the suit for helping to enforce the rules, which the lawsuit says have been “exposed as a sham.”
Just this week, there was another massive protest in Broklyn.
— Joshua Potash (@JoshuaPotash) June 14, 2020
At the same time, the city welded shut the entrance to a park in a Jewish neighborhood.
Bill de Blasio is responding to the mass protest in Brooklyn yesterday by welding the gates shut at the biggest park in the Jewish community of Borough Park, Brooklyn.
— Daily Caller (@DailyCaller) June 15, 2020
People in the neighborhood responded with bolt cutters.
The park lock cut open with a bolt-cutter. pic.twitter.com/UZTFrQbQyg
— NYC Scanner (@NYScanner) June 15, 2020
People are done with the double standard.