Democrats Introduce Bill To Give Special Protection To Their Favorite Constituents – Journalists

Rep. Eric Swalwell of California and two other Democrats have introduced a bill which would give members of the media special protection. This is ridiculous.

The Hill reports:

Dem lawmakers unveil Journalist Protection Act amid Trump attacks on media

Three Democratic lawmakers reintroduced a Journalist Protection Act that intends to designate “certain attacks on those reporting the news” as a federal crime.

Trending: College Students Say Obama Immigration Quote Is Racist – When They Think It’s From Trump (VIDEO)

The bill was introduced by Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-Calif.), Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) and Sen. Bob Menendez (D-N.J.).

It was originally introduced by Swalwell in February 2018 when the House was under Republican control. Democrats officially took back the House this January.

“The Journalist Protection Act makes it a federal crime to intentionally cause bodily injury to a journalist affecting interstate or foreign commerce in the course of reporting or in a manner designed to intimidate him or her from newsgathering for a media organization,” reads the Tuesday press release.

“It represents a clear statement that assaults against people engaged in reporting is unacceptable, and helps ensure law enforcement is able to punish those who interfere with newsgathering.”

The lawmakers said they were introducing the bill as a response to President Trump’s “climate of extreme hostility” toward the media.

“Both before and since taking office, President Trump has blatantly stoked a climate of extreme hostility toward the press,” the release said. “He has called the press ‘the enemy of the American people,’ and described mainstream media outlets as ‘a stain on America.’

Yeah, right. Journalists are under attack. That must be why the Covington teenager Nick Sandmann, who was targeted by the media is now suing CNN for $275 million dollars.

FOX News reports:

Sandmann, family sue CNN for $275M in Covington Catholic controversy

A lawsuit worth $275 million was filed against CNN on Tuesday over the network’s alleged “vicious” attack against Covington Catholic High School student Nick Sandmann.

The lawsuit, filed just after 3 p.m. in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky, claims that CNN “elevated false, heinous accusations of racist conduct” against Sandmann and failed to adhere to “well-established journalistic standards and ethics.”

Sandmann and his family previously announced they were filing a lawsuit against The Washington Post for $250 million in compensatory and punitive damages after the paper’s coverage of an encounter that went viral on social media.

Co-counsel for Sandmann, Todd McMurtry, in an exclusive appearance on Fox News’ “The Story” Tuesday, said that his client’s “character has now been determined by the lies issued by CNN” following their widespread coverage of Sandmann.

But Democrats think the media is the real victim in America today. Unreal.

You Might Like

 

Join the conversation!

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please hover over that comment, click the ∨ icon, and mark it as spam. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.