The Never-Trump publication ‘The Weekly Standard’ has been circling the drain for months but now it’s really all over. They basically ran out of funding. Apparently, there’s not much of a market for what they were selling anymore.
The Weekly Standard, conservative outlet that criticized Trump, to shut down
The Weekly Standard is shutting down, owner Clarity Media Group announced Friday, ending one of the only conservative outlets that consistently stood in opposition to the style and politics of President Donald Trump.
The magazine’s final issue, which was completed Thursday, will publish on Dec. 17, Clarity said in a news release. The decision was communicated to staff members at a 10:30 a.m. meeting.
All staff members were terminated, with pay through the end of the year, a Clarity spokesperson confirmed, saying that the office will be closed on Friday. Severance is being offered by Clarity and its publishing arm, MediaDC, two staff members told POLITICO, contingent on employees signing a nondisclosure agreement — a stringent condition from a media company that states on its website a mission to “inform and enlighten readers.”…
The decision to shutter came after more than a week of uncertainty for employees. Amid rumors of its possible demise, Clarity said 10 days ago that it was “exploring a number of possibilities” for the conservative journal, but since then executives have remained silent, including Clarity owner Philip Anschutz, the billionaire conservative donor.
It’s sad that this happened to their employees at the holidays. The people at the top will probably be just fine. Everyone else? Who knows?