Democrats and their allies in big tech have been waging an all-out war on free speech. Conservative voices are routinely silenced on social media.
One Republican, is doing something about it.
Florida Governor Ron DeSantis just took a major step towards defending free speech rights.
Breitbart News reports:
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis Launches Ambitious Crackdown on Big Tech
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) announced a major push to curb Big Tech’s political bias and censorship today, with measures including a ban on the censorship of political candidates and mandatory opt-outs of content filters for citizens of the Sunshine State.
In a 45-minute speech, the governor identified Big Tech companies as the leading threat to American democracy and freedom of expression today, and pledged that Florida Republicans would take action.
The new regulations announced by DeSantis include:
– Mandatory opt-outs from big tech’s content filters, a solution to tech censorship first proposed by Breitbart News in 2018.
– A private right of action for Floridian citizens against tech companies that violate this condition.
– Fines of $100,000 per day levied on tech companies that suspend candidates for elected office in Florida from their platforms.
– Daily fines for any tech company “that uses their content and user-related algorithms to suppress or prioritize the access of any content related to a political candidate or cause on the ballot.”
– Greater transparency requirements.
– Disclosure requirements enforced by Florida’s election authorities for tech companies that favor one candidate over another.
– Power for the Florida attorney general to bring cases against tech companies that violate these conditions under the state’s Unfair and Deceptive Practices Act.
Take a look below:
Floridians’ ability to access and participate in online platforms should be protected. The Big Tech industry has transformed into one that monitors, influences and controls the flow of information in our country and among our citizens. pic.twitter.com/KUfFQUZgNx
— Ron DeSantis (@GovRonDeSantis) February 3, 2021
This is important for all Americans.
Congratulations to Governor DeSantis for stepping up in this fight.