Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte claims that he will not visit the United States, even after his term is up. He claims that American is “lousy.” He also claims that he will “investigate” the U.S.’s “human rights violations.”
The Washington Post reports:
Philippines’ Duterte vows not to come to the U.S.: ‘I’ve seen America, and it’s lousy’
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte, previously praised and invited by President Trump to come to the White House, said he will not visit the United States during or after his term because the country is “lousy.”
Duterte’s remarks about one of the Philippines’ oldest allies was in response to Rep. Jim McGovern (D-Mass.), who said he would protest if the Filipino leader utilized Trump’s invitation.
“There will never be a time that I will go to America during my term, or even thereafter. So what makes that guy think I’ll go to America? I’ve seen America, and it’s lousy,” Duterte told reporters Friday about McGovern.
. . . . “We should be clear what an extrajudicial killing or execution is: It is the purposeful killing of a person by governmental authorities without the sanction of any judicial proceeding,” McGovern said in his opening remarks. “No arrest. No warrant. No judge. No jury. Simply, murder.”
McGovern added that someone with Duterte’s abysmal human rights record should not be invited to the United States. “If he comes, I will lead the protest,” the congressman said. “We ought to be on the side of advocating for human rights, not explaining them away.”
Duterte shot back Friday, telling reporters that he, too, can — and will — investigate the United States’ history of human rights violation.