If Megyn Kelly was hoping for a vote of confidence from her new boss, she’s out of luck. The chief of NBC News has admitted that her new show is a risk and that he’s nervous about it.
The Washington Free Beacon reports:
NBC News Chief: Megyn Kelly Morning Show Risk ‘Unnerving’ and ‘a Little Scary’
NBC News chairman Andy Lack confessed to nervousness about Megyn Kelly’s upcoming network morning show, saying the risk is “unnerving” and “a little scary.”
Kelly, the former Fox News host, is debuting her daily 9 a.m. ET show “Megyn Kelly Today” on Sept. 25. Her summertime “Sunday Night With Megyn Kelly” newsmagazine program served as a test launch of sorts, but it disappointed, both critically and in the ratings.
Lack signed Kelly away from Fox with an offer reportedly worth more than $17 million a year. Her show will follow Savannah Guthrie and Matt Lauer on NBC’s treasured “Today” show, which wins its time slot in the vaunted 25-to-54 demographic.
“Yes, there is risk and it’s unnerving and a little scary,” Lack told the Wall Street Journal.
According to Lack, “Today” is a $500-million enterprise. “Megyn Kelly Today” will air in front of a live audience in a specially built studio at 30 Rock.
One NBC insider reportedly said last month there is “total panic” at the network about whether she will have success.
Where is she going to go if the new show bombs? She’s running out of options at this point.